The Massachusetts Health Information HIway (Mass HIway)
In October 2012, Massachusetts launched the statewide electronic health information exchange, The Massachusetts Health Information Highway (The Mass HIway). The Mass HIway offers doctors’ offices, hospitals, laboratories, pharmacies, skilled nursing facilities, and other healthcare organizations a way to securely and seamlessly transmit vital data electronically.
This meaningful exchange of information can enable the Commonwealth’s care community to:
- Positively influence care coordination and delivery
- Avoid readmissions and medical errors
- Reduce administrative costs and duplicative testing
- Enhance communication among providers
- Increase patient engagement
- Improve public health reporting and analytics
The Mass HIway is open to all interested providers, hospitals, and other organizations within the healthcare community regardless of affiliation, location, or differences in technology.
The final Mass HIway Regulations are available and are in effect as of February 10, 2017. Click here for a summary of the Mass HIway Regulations, and click here for frequently asked questions about the Mass HIway Regulations.